Blog Background

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Strength

I've been told a lot throughout my life that I've been an inspiration to others. I always thought that was strange. Don't get me wrong, that's flattering and I'm glad I've had a positive influence in others' lives. However, I'm just going about living my life to the best of my abilities. Isn't that what everyone's trying to do? Everyone has trials they've had to overcome in their lives... mine just happen to be visible to others. But that doesn't make my trials any grander, more difficult, or more inspirational than the trials  the person next to me has fought to overcome. 

I firmly believe that people are a lot stronger and capable than what they give themselves credit for. You'll be amazed at what you can endure and do when you have no other choice but to do it.

I remember an experience I had a few years ago. I had gone to my brother's work to speak. He worked at an resident facility for delinquent boys ages 12-18. I did my little spiel and then opened it up for questions. One of the boys there made the comment along the lines of... 'I don't know how you do it. If I like got one of my arms cut off I just couldn't do it.' I firmly responded... 'Yes you could. Because if you really got your arm cut off- you'd have no other choice but to do it! You'd either have to deal and figure out how to overcome that- or just give up.' 

I love the following sentiment. I know it's 100% true. And that truth has given me greater peace and strength as I've strived to overcome the challenges in my life. 

And finally, one last thought that I love:

No comments:

Post a Comment