Blog Background

Friday, July 13, 2012

My Testimony

I had the opportunity to share my testimony this past fast Sunday. I didn't take advantage of it and I've regretted that choice ever since. Didn't I fight for the chance to serve a mission so that I could share that very same testimony?! Yes I did. And I DO have a testimony. So why didn't I get up? Plain fear/shyness. No other way around it. Needless to say- it's not my proudest moment. I'll repent next fast Sunday I promise. However, this has led me to think a lot lately, if I had gotten up- what would I've shared? What will I share the next time the opportunity comes up?

I can't go back to that sacrament meeting and change my decision. But I can write out my testimony here and share it with whoever might stop on by. Here it goes:

I know that I have a Heavenly Father and Savior who knows me individually and loves me more than I can ever fully comprehend. Through various trials I've asked a lot of "why me?", "why do I have to experience this?"; and I've said a lot of "this is too hard" and "this is so unfair", etc. But I have never questioned that my Heavenly Father and Savior loved me. Not once. Of all the things in the gospel, that's one thing I know without a doubt to my core- God exists, and He loves and cares about me. 

I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the world and He provided an Atonement that is real and works. How I don't know, I just know it does. I know He understands perfectly how I feel, even when no one else does.

I know that Heavenly Father and the Savior have a plan for my life that is often drastically different than my own plans. (And maybe it's the same plan, just on an incredibly different timetable than I'd like.) And I know that accepting Their plan and letting go of my own can be really hard. And even painful sometimes. But I know that They know best, and if/when I follow Their plans- I'll be so much happier. Maybe I won't be happier tomorrow, next month, or year. But when it really counts- I'll be happier than I would've been if I'd followed my own wisdom. Basically, I know that trusting and following Heavenly Father and the Savior will never lead me astray. I might not fully understand along the journey, but that's where my faith comes in.

I know the Plan of Salvation is truly a plan of happiness and that by only following that plan, will I be guided to true happiness. I know that there is so much MORE than this short mortal experience I'm all currently in the middle of, and that the choices I make here have big consequences for the hereafter. That is- depending on how I apply the Atonement to my life.

I know that through the blessings of the priesthood, families can be together forever through the sealing power found in Temples. Death is not the end for me or my loved ones. I know that I will receive a perfected body in the hereafter. I cannot wait! I sometimes get giddy inside, I'm so excited just thinking about how wonderful that day will be.

I know that the Book of Mormon is true. It contains the word of God and was preserved for hundreds of years for our days to help lead and guide us through our earthly journey back to our Heavenly Father. I know prayer works. Heavenly Father really does listen to me when I talk with Him. With all the problems in the world, He loves me enough to listen to whatever I have to tell Him.

I know that revelation continues. I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet called to bring in the Restoration. I also know that Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet today, who is indeed inspired and receives inspiration directly from the Lord on our behalf, along with the 12 Apostles.

I love this church with my whole heart. But more than that- I love, and have firm testimony in the Gospel contained within the church. I know that sounds picnicky- but it's an important distinction. (For more on that- please read this General Conference talk by Elder Hallstrom.) I KNOW this Gospel is true. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting your testimony. It was awesome to hear it. But even better than that is the living testimony that is your life. I know you have a strong testimony by the way you're living, as I'm sure everyone around you does as well.

    ReplyDelete